You can find help here:
- How to Play Videos
- Free Blank Chord Sheets
- Free Songwriting Notebooks
- Mary Amato’s Songwriting Lesson
- Mary Amato’s Song Revision Lesson
- Songwriting Tip Videos
- Free Guitar Notes Songs Lyrics & Chords
- Links for choosing a guitar, finding a music camp, and more.
Have my books inspired you to write your own song? Please share it with the world!
- If you make a video of yourself singing your song, please add a shout-out to me on the video.
- To add the url for this website to your video, use: https://thrumsociety.com/
- To add the book cover to your video, find it here.
I believe that the impulse to sing and to make up songs is something everyone can enjoy. You don’t have to be an accomplished musician. Knowledge of music theory and the ability to play an instrument or voice lessons can certainly help. But don’t assume that you can’t write your own songs if you haven’t ever had a music lesson.
As a kid, I tried piano lessons and violin lessons and grew quickly discouraged. I thought I had a learning disability when it came to playing an instrument. I brought a guitar to college, but I could only play a few chords and never had confidence. It wasn’t until I was grown up (and my kids were almost grown up, too) when I picked up the guitar and began to play and sing again. I decided to put my fear aside and try to practice a little bit everyday. Just five to ten minutes a day. That made a huge difference.
Embrace your mistakes…remember that learning anything new takes time and patience…and most importantly…just play!